Last update: February 3, 2024
Are you an aspiring model in Japan looking to create a stunning portfolio? Well, look no further! I’ve got some great tips for you. For this, the photo shoot starting your portfolio will be a crucial step in launching your career. Check out these 5 best practices that will help make your photo shoot efficient and your portfolio shine in Japan!
- Concept and Mood: Brainstorm a clear concept and mood for your portfolio. This could be a specific theme, style, or emotion you want to portray.
- Shot List: Create a list outlining the poses, outfits, and expressions you want to capture. This keeps the shoot focused and prevents you from forgetting anything.
- Location Scouting: Find a location that complements your concept and offers variety. Consider natural light and backgrounds. JG Studio offers an ideal space for different styles.
- Photographer: Choose a photographer who aligns with your vision and understands your goals. Research their portfolio and discuss your expectations beforehand. As the photographer of JG Studio, I always request my clients to share some photos with me before a photo shoot. This helps me comprehend their objectives and the look they aim for.
- Stylist: If needed, hire a stylist to help curate outfits that flatter your figure and suit the photoshoot theme.
- Makeup and Hair: If your budget allows it, invest in professional makeup and hair styling to elevate your look and ensure consistency throughout the shoot.
- Skincare: To ensure your skin looks its best, it’s important to hydrate properly and get a good night’s sleep before the photo session.
- Practice Poses: Rehearse basic poses in front of a mirror to feel confident during the shoot.
- Bring Variety: Pack different outfits, accessories, and shoes to create diverse looks within your chosen theme(s).
Engage & Enjoy The Shoot
- Communication is Key: Communicate openly with your photographer. Don’t hesitate to ask for adjustments.
- Have Fun!: Relax, be natural, and don’t overdo your poses. The more you enjoy the process, the better your photos will be.
- Image Selection: While shooting, collaborate with your photographer to select the best photos representing your strengths and versatility.
- Editing: Apply some edits like cropping, exposure adjustments, and color correction to enhance your photos without overdoing it. JG Studio provides professional editing to deliver high-quality portfolio shots after each photo session.
Following these tips, you can create stunning photos that capture your unique personality and impress potential agencies and clients. There is a true potential for foreign models in Japan.
Remember that your portfolio is an investment in your modeling career that requires time and commitment. Be patient and persistent!
Bonus Tip: Even if you can find jobs speaking only in English, it is a huge advantage as a model to be able to speak Japanese. So, learn the language as much as possible and meet people in Japan.
I hope this helps! Good luck in your modeling journey!
Jean-Guillaume (JG) Brasseur
JG Studio Owner and Photographer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @jg_studio_tokyo
- Address: 150-0043 Tokyo, Shibuya-ku, Dogenzaka 2-18-11, Sunmall Dogenzaka Bldg. 701